Bringing history up to date
By Doug Capra © 2015
Part 3 of 3
Over the years, the Lowell Creek Diversion Tunnel has had its problems and has undergone repairs done by the Corps of Engineers. Even after it was officially completed in 1940, concrete had to be placed between the steel rails on the tunnel floor. But the bolts didn’t hold them down, so, in 1944, the rails were welded to the steel channel cross-ties and finished with concrete. In 1945, the operation and maintenance of the system was turned over to “local interests.” The Corps was to continue annual inspections “in compliance with the provisions of local cooperation.”
By H.B. Bardarson
The Sea Bean Café is a popular stop for travelers and locals alike. Its warm crimson walls, old whaler art, and comfy leather couches invite intimate conversations amongst friends over lunch or an opportunity for a wandering adventurer to get connected to home, thanks to their free wifi. Above The Sea Bean Café is Sauerdough Lodging, where there are five studio apartments for guests to rent that have been restored to sophisticated elegance. This building is one of the oldest in Downtown Seward, having been completed in 1907 by William Sauers as a mercantile store only two years after the town of Seward’s founding!
When Matt and Meredith Hershock bought the building in 2005, there was a lot to do. Only two years shy of being one hundred years old, the building needed a lot of love, blood, sweat, and tears. Although remodeling presented a number of challenges, the building would present its long Seward history at every turn.
Join the fun!
Planning Meeting Saturday December 20th at 10:00 a.m. at Tony’s Bar
What would be your solution the medical transport problem?